Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The TFC

It's been sitting right under my nose for ages so I feel a bit stupid for evangelising now, but have you been to The TFC? It stands, I presume, for The Turkish Food centre and it's wicked. A bit like a slither of Harringay, they sell all sorts of delicacies from Turkey: the freshest baklava I may have ever tasted outside of Istanbul; a full butchers array; every sort of pulse worth shaking a stick at; mini pans for heating milk; and enough Halloumi, or Helim, to feed a smallish army. In short it is extensive and excellent and really gets the creative juices flowing. I went there a few weeks ago and bought a mere 20 lamb cutlets which were reasonably priced and just fantastic. We marinated them in a light yogurt dressing with turmeric and fennel seeds. Quickly fried on a slab of cast iron they were rare and green tasting. Along side these, we had warm bulgar wheat with chickpeas (very good chickpeas. They come in glass jars. Look out for them) lots of soft sweet onions and again turmeric. It was bloody delicious. Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Has the Camberwell one opened? I have been to the one in Higham Park, near where my daughter lives in North London, but would really like one nearer Brixton! My friend swears by the one near Lewisham and does all her grocery shopping there. They do the best hummus I have ever, ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is! just beyong the snooker hall. and you can park down the side, just! x

    ReplyDelete