Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Sesame Summer Salad.

In case you wanted to know, pregnancy is weird. Really weird. For months now I have been sick and lackluster and have pretty much only eaten penne with thick tomato sauce. And suddenly last week I started wanting some decent food. I feel like my personality has returned! I've been a boring wretch with no inspiration and now I want sushi and salads and everything fresh and super healthy. I think this may be as close as I am going to get to a 'cravings' stage (a falacy in my book, like many of the so-called traits of pregnancy). But I am not complaining. It is amazing to have some taste buds back and makes the continuing nausea much more bearable! Here is my delicious dinner. I have been thinking about a sweet wet sesame heavy dressing all day. It's easy to make and thoroughly refreshing.


I used a selection of (exorbitant) baby vegetables from Waitrose (very naughty). Blanch the vegetables (baby leeks, baby fennel, small french beans, baby courgettes excluding the sliced tomatoes and cucumber) so that they retain a good crunch. Set these aside to cool. Cook your noodles according to packet instructions. Mine were prawn noodles which have a nice slightly salty aftertaste and gentle pink colour. Rinse these under cold water when they are cooked so they don't stick together and also so that they cool.

To make the dressing, take a jam jar with a matching lid. Mix together rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, light soy sauce and honey, so that it is sharp and zingy and quite salty. Pour over your salad and toss in some black sesame seeds. Perfect for a summers evening.

 Oh and by the way, if you want to buy my new book, which is rather lovely, click here to jump onto amazon. xxx

2 comments:

  1. Pregnancy can drive one a wee barmy, but not in a terrible way. I remember being able to tolerate only squash and chicken in my first two months of pregnancy. With regards to the cravings, I read that it's one way of the body to tell us which vitamin and nutrient we maybe missing so it makes us want to eat a food rich in whatever we lack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a weblog i am so happy to here can you more discuss here, i am back again again to your site as soon as possible and i have lot of collection for you just click here for more information.
    laptop tube

    ReplyDelete