Saturday, April 7, 2012

Old friends, New Icing

















With friends coming round for tea today, I have fallen back on a familiar favourite from my first cookbook, Baby Banana Cakes. It feels really comforting to return to those recipes that have been cooked time and time again, especially if they are your own. But each time I cook one of my recipes I tend to tweak and change and adapt according to mood, memory, and what's in the cupboard. Added to this I have added a new cylicone mini loaf tray to my baking collection so these cakes are little loaves, not cupcake shape. It's amazing how even the shape of something makes it feel entirely new and exciting. Either that or I am seriously sad.

The power of mood is particularly strong at the moment because I am pregnant. Most foods repulse me even at the thought. I am happiest with trash and stodge right now - polystyrene boxes of vinegar heavy chips, plainest pasta with nursery style tomato sauces, cold cold milk, and Gregg's iced buns. So I've made my familiar friends the Baby banana cakes, but instead of the recommended caramelish syrup I've made a very naff dribbly icing by combining a thimble of milk with icing sugar and scattering over roughly chopped mixed nuts. I just need my friends to arrive so I can start eating them!

2 comments:

  1. congratualtions on your pregnancy. I loved your first book. Your Korean salad was a huge hit where i worked for a while .. i think i sold a lot of your books just with that salad.. Just walked out of the kitchen with the book showed them the recipe and lots of folks ordered it with their i phone right away. I am looking forward to your new book. It's Funny what pregnancy makes you crave i am a cook but i craved those horrid soups in a package that youadd water to .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I hear my grandma usually say necessity is the mother of creation and I don`t know for some reason that phrase really applies here. Any ways I am glad you made something unique again, I`ll give it a try and if I am successful with my attempt this recipe is definitely going to be used again our next weekends picnic.

    ReplyDelete