Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MUM'S STICKY GINGER CAKE

This is a recipe I've been meaning to try out for ages. My mum usually brings me one in an old cake tin when she comes up to London, and we sit around drinking tea and usually polish the lot off. I'm now kicking myself that I didn't try to bake it sooner, as it's super easy and it seems I managed to replicate her's to the T. This is always a relief. And it seemed just the right thing to make today, as it's wet and comforting with a little ginger kick to ward off the snow. You could definitely also serve this as a pudding cake with some creme fraiche on the side. Tomorrow I'm going to do it again with a generous dusting of cocoa powder on the top...



250g BUTTER
250g BLACK TREACLE
250g MUSCOVADO SUGAR
250g SELF RAISING FLOUR
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
3 HEAPED tsp GROUND GINGER
75g GOLDEN CURRANTS
1 EGG
1 CUP BOILING WATER

Grease a spring form cake tin and heat the oven at 170C.

Melt together the butter, treacle and sugar, so that the latter has dissolved. Give it a good whisk as the butter slightly seperates. Leave this to cool for 10 minutes. Now beat in the dry goods - the flour, baking powder, ginger and currants. It should look silky. Finally beat in the egg and then the water. Turn the batter like cake mix out into the greased tin and place in the oven for 1 hour. I actually did it for a little less and the center of the cake was lovely and gooey.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm going to make this today - LOVE anything with ginger in it
    haha - we have the same mug floating around, I did a double-take!

    ReplyDelete